Why is continuing education not required for all CompTIA certification holders?

Discussion in 'IT Hardware and Networking' started by Delilah James, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Delilah James

Delilah James Member

If you received a CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+ or CompTIA Security+ certification before December 31, 2010, those certifications never expire. But anyone receiving certification for same after that time, is automatically enrolled in continuing education program with expiration date being three years after certification.

Why are the ones who received certification before 2010, considered exempt from having to take continuing education? I would think that with constant technological changes, it would be in the best interest of the industry that all certification holders receieve updated education yearly or every few years to ensure knowledge of latest advancements.

2. Peter Short

Peter Short Member

Actually, your employer might still require you to undergo continuing education courses even if you have the 'lifetime certification' for a CompTIA designation. So even when not required by the certifying company, it can still be a condition of employment.

Siddharth Sharma likes this.
  3. Gabriella Wakefield

I think it's a very outmoded rule that doesn't require everyone to get continuing education to maintain certification. Not to mention how it's so unfair. It's just smart to get continuing education as that will provide a better foundation of knowledge for doing your daily job.

Siddharth Sharma likes this.
  4. maganoor suresh

Alumni

i have a idea like this , Comptia A+ is a base knowledge on the current technologies in the hardware & networking support SOHO (small office Home office) users, when you want to upgrade to support the entrepreneur, ITIL in the past , and Now ITSM is the plat form to serve the Entrepreneurs. any ideas do share